Sunday, February 14, 2016

Freedom from Junk 2016 - Day 14

So I didn't do as well this week as I had hoped.  I had 3 goal areas of our home to declutter, and I only got to 2 out of the 3... still, not bad, but not what I had hoped.  I will let myself off the hook a little, though, because this was the first week of uncluttering our home while I was working full-time!  I agreed to substitute for a former coworker and friend while she is on maternity leave!  She wasn't due until tomorrow, but she had her baby earlier this past week - so off to the classroom I went, while my kids went to all day childcare!  What a whirlwind week!  Each night I have been packing lunches and picking out clothes for the next day, and making sure my lesson plans are ready to go and papers graded.  My husband has pitched in like crazy, driving the kids to childcare in the mornings and making sure they have brushed their teeth and helping with breakfast and getting dressed... etc.



Somehow I still got the baking done for Wednesday night (Emersyn, my 4-year-old helped me make Valentine cookies that were pink with sprinkles), but mostly because we had a ton of leftovers from the Super Bowl party!  We also managed to see an NSU basketball game, get Emersyn and Keegan's Valentine cards done, and a family get-together in Joplin... All things work together, right?!

School went pretty well, considering I hadn't been in one in almost 2 years!  I even endured Valentine's parties - even though I burned popcorn in the microwave so badly it filled my classroom with smoke and I had a student vomit all over the floor of the bathroom.  But I received lots of chocolates, cute little notes, and had a great time overall!  I am even enjoying teaching Math - that's right, MATH!  I have always been a Language Arts person, but I am realizing that Math is much more straight forward.  There's one right answer and the explanation of why it is right.  Everything else is wrong.  Writing is much more fluid and abstract, and while I still enjoy it, I am seeing the benefits of being able to model something to many kids and that can be the way it is for all of them!  The grading has been much simpler too!  Woohoo!

I did learn that I am too much of a sap to get through the Friday morning assembly without crying, though!  Cute little Kindergarteners (or were they 1st graders?) leading us in the pledge and awards and singing the theme song from "The Golden Girls"... I was crying and wondering if I was going to cry every Friday for the next 6 weeks!

And at home... well... I have tried to get a load of laundry cleaned each day, but it wasn't enough to keep up with my family at all!  Kyle has done dishes a few times this week, and he is presently folding all the laundry we needed to get caught up on!

The two areas I managed to declutter were my children's closets!  I went through all their dresser drawers, hang up clothes, shoes, and old clothes tubs.  Then I spent this afternoon sorting out the stained, torn, snagged, etc pieces and divided by season.  The pristine articles of clothing will be prepped this week for the huge resale event in Tulsa I have consigned for several years now, Just Between Friends.  Just cleaning out their two closets boosted our sell/give away counts big time!  Kyle even went through his dresser and started weeding out some of the things he'd like to get rid of, even though he really keeps it all very organized!



We only have 111 items left to get rid of in our house, but several areas still to go through - and only 15 days left to get them done!  The area I didn't get to this week will be priority this next week, since it is much worse than the areas left on the list.  I would show a before picture, but I just don't have the guts at this time to show you what my bedroom truly looks like on a regular basis...  I'm working on my courage!




















I also am hosting a church staff/elders dinner at our house this coming Friday... so I am super motivated to finish our bedroom so I can put everyone's purses and coats on my bed without feeling nervous they are going to see my cluttered junk... I would love to be able to say, "Go on in and put your things down!" without a rock in my stomach!  These ladies coming are domestic masters, and I'm glad I could call them friends before they ever saw how I live!

Half-time is over - back to work tomorrow, and time to fish out some extra time for continued decluttering!

No comments:

Post a Comment